Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Score!

I recently found a really nice wooden slat bench.  I immediately recognized the design as Mid Century Modern, and I really like benches--I have three or four of them already--and I was near-hysterical when I saw it out of the corner of my eye at a yard sale.  There really wasn't a lot there that interested me, with most items still in the box.  Wedding gifts, I'm guessing.  Nothing vintage, antique or just plain old.  I was on my way to my car when I spotted the bench.  The seller asked me what I thought was a good price, adding that he had paid $50 for it some years ago.  I told him I was thinking $10, not because I felt that was a fair price, but because I was feeling guilty for being at a garage sale at all.  I was supposed to be on a hiatus.  He countered with $15, which surprised me.  I thought he'd come in a lot higher.  But sometimes you have just had enough of a particular item, and it's time to pass it on and let someone else enjoy it.  I paid the $15, and he gave me three bootleg DVD's as a bonus.

When I got around to doing some research on the bench, I was a little surprised at the prices.  They command a nice price overall, and they are selling.  That part doesn't surprise me.  They are an iconic and timeless design.  While reading up on my new find, I learned that the bench was originally designed by George Nelson (not to be confused with the baby-faced mobster of the same name) in 1946.  Plenty of designers and furniture manufacturers have put their own spin on the slat bench, but there's really not much to improve on.  It seems that those that were mass-produced in Yugoslavia, like mine, are the easiest to find today.  Not that easy though, especially at a bargain-basement price.

Nelson intended the bench to be a multi-functional piece used as a table, a seat or a platform to set things on, like luggage as it was being packed or unpacked.  Comfort was never part of the plan, in fact, he deliberately made it uncomfortable for sitting long periods of time.  This was to discourage uninvited guests from visiting him in his office for very long.  It's far more functional than I had imagined!  While I had not been looking for this piece, I'm so happy to have it and I can't wait to put it to use.

                                                                       


Yes, it's that simple!  That's the beauty of it!

I had another stroke of luck in the great find department today!  A full set of gilt glass tumblers, in a caddy, with matching glass coasters.  Pretty impractical for someone like me who rarely entertains, but something I've been looking for.  It's difficult to find a full set like this, so I'm feeling like a real professional right about now.
       
                                                                     



 No wonder vintage glass and barware has made such a comeback!  What could be prettier, classier and more sensible? 


If you find a set like this, grab it!  Then call me...


I've been busy checking off my vintage bucket list, but still searching for that Lady Head vase.  Next time!

No comments: