Wednesday, June 4, 2014

I've Seen the Future, and It's Wearing Qiana...

I stole that title from the internet when I found this picture...

Jenny Agutter in Logan's Run: I have seen the future... and it's wearing Qiana.
Jenny Agutter in "Logan's Run"...all decked out in her futuristic Qiana minidress.

I love vintage fabric and I have quite a lot of it.  The problem is, I don't sew anymore.  So I buy it when I find patterns that I like, keep them for awhile, and then attempt to sell it.  I found two pieces of vintage fabric recently, and while I plan to sell one of them, I'm keeping the other one because I love the way it flows, and the pattern on it almost jumps off the fabric.  I recognized it immediately as a fabric which had a good run of popularity when I was a teen.  Qiana.  Top designers used it.  My brother and my Dad had shirts made out of it.  And if you wanted a really dressy dress...Qiana.  People even named their children after it, but I'm not going to comment on that today.  

I started wondering what happened to it.  It just kind of faded into the sunset and I haven't heard of it in years.  Of course I Googled it, and found a Pinterest page dedicated to it, "I Love Qiana".  So what is Qiana, anyway?  It's a man-made fabric by DuPont, which really became popular in the 70's.  It was so perfect for disco-ing the night away.  It looked a little like silk, but it was stretchy and weighty.  Check it out:

    

    

And here's mine:

I swear, the flowers look and feel like they could be peeled right off of the fabric.  I see a skirt with a black t-shirt.  Now if I could just remember how to thread that sewing machine...


I also found about four yards of this amazing, bold print (not Qiana:) )--

If I had found this a month ago, it would certainly have figured into my living room decor.  At this point I have nothing to use it for, so up for sale it goes!  


If you've never owned anything made with Qiana, or have never even heard of it, check out your Dad's closet.  Waaaaayyyy in the back.  I'll bet he's holding onto a few Qiana shirts and they're hanging right next to his leisure suits.


Frankly, I thought the leisure suit was cool.  I still do.

No comments: