Sunday, June 1, 2014

Fun, Fashionable and Preferably Free!

 These awesome shoes continue to work overtime in my wardrobe, and now my daughter has discovered how comfortable and chic they are!  By far my favorite pair of "sensible shoes", I found these ugly ducklings at a thrift store for $4 and made them my first painting project.  They turned out so well that I've been hooked on leather paint ever since.  

No color theme intended, but the onset of summer just naturally brings out the brights.  Bright, neon colors seem so new, but they were even more popular in the 50's and 60's, as evidenced by the abundance of hot hues to be found in the vintage aisle, in the vintage stores, on the vintage racks, and in my closet.  Unfortunately, finding plus-size vintage clothing is tough, but I love having them around.  Lucky for me, my daughter isn't against trying out vintage styles, and when she tried this one on, it was a keeper. 




 With or without the belt and scarf, this dress is a winner!  Wrinkle-free, foldable and stuffable, polyester got a bad rap in the 70's.  The stuff is pure genius.  

I was "uber" happy to find a skirt for myself, which just happened to be of the same hue.  I bought a vintage Cobbie skirt that turned out to be a little too tight.  I was bummed, because I had this shimmery taupe sweater that I bought for the expressed purpose of wearing it with the turquoise skirt.  I held onto the dream and scored this Ship-n-Shore linen blend in a slightly darker version of the original.  The shoes are vintage Naturalizers that I embellished with beads from a collection amassed during my brief stint as a jewelry designer.  Well, I strung a lot of beads but couldn't figure out how to get the clasps on. It was fun and I still have a lot of them, but gave most to my niece who's a lot more determined to get her designs to the "wearable" stage.  Anyway, my dream outfit finally materialized and with my daughter loving the vintage dress and shoes, we ended up in the same colors.  I adore these vintage sunglasses.  The lenses are pretty scratched, but the frames are a great ombre blue, green, and turquoise. 



Still bright, but another great color, this coral tank picks up one of the many gorgeous colors in this vintage ethnic skirt.  She's in love with all things Latin, so it was a perfect choice for her.  I got it at my hoarder house haul.  She looks awesome...

We thrifted the Aeropostale shades for $1 somewhere, sometime.  It's gets to be a blur.  

I'm looking forward to a fun and fashionable summer.  And the more the word "free" is interjected in there, the happier I'll be!

No comments: