Sunday, June 29, 2014

Style Can Be A Challenge.

Almost one year ago today, I spent an afternoon visiting with my childhood friend at her house which sits on a beautiful lake.  The timing wasn't planned, but when I looked back at my post from that day, it was June 30 of last year.  I hadn't been to her house since then. 

We had great, fresh and healthy fare.  She's a bit of a health nut and grows and makes her own everything.  The freshly made hummus and vegetable soup were light, yet filling, the fresh fruit with yogurt and the warm from the oven ginger snaps rounded the meal off nicely.  I have tried to figure out how she has the time for this, with a full time job and four girls, but cooking is one of her hobbies.  I guess she spends about as much time at it as I do decorating and re-decorating rooms.  So while we both devote a lot of our time to hobbies, hers results in a great home-cooked meal every time.  Mine just results in something pretty to look at but puts nothing in your belly.  I tried to get a few freebies from her, namely one of her antique tables, but no luck there.  I did leave with a pot of dirt and a few "babies" from her spider plant.  In a few weeks I'll have a viable "spidey" of my own. 
These things are super easy to grow.  I haven't had one in years!
While I was there, she invited me to a tea party/bridal shower for her daughter.  She says that I have to wear "a sundress and a hat".  Sundresses aren't in the current rotation because I'm not digging my arms these days, and I never wear hats because I have a big head.  There, I said it.  But I consider it a challenge, which I love.  I'll report on my progress...
In the meantime, I took on another #TSC Style Challenge, and this time it was all about the floral shorts.  Shorts aren't in my rotation either, and haven't been for many years (like 20), but I dug around in my closet and came up with this:
I was very leery about the pattern mixing.  I've seen it done well, I've seen it overdone, and I've seen it ridiculous.  I am also very conscious, sometimes self-conscious about how "trends" look on me.  At my age and current size, this could easily become "clownish" but I was surprisingly satisfied with the way this turned out and kept it on all day, ditching the shoes because this pair isn't quite sensible enough for me. 


It's been a few weeks since I posted my "Super Sunday" outfit.  Today's theme was black and white.  Super easy--just hard to make a decision.  
I just realized I'm not wearing bracelets!  First time for everything...
I also see just how unsightly the driveway weeds are.  More work...

The accessories are all thifted, including the vintage silver and tortoiseshell bag and the see-through and silver shoes. I found them about two years ago and this is the first time I've worn them.  They were more comfortable than I'd expected, so I'm adding them to the "sensible" list.  

Feel free to show me your Tea Party style because I'm open to suggestions.  I'll be thinking about it all week, in between working, cleaning and gardening.  I'll feed my family too, but there is no homemade hummus or warm ginger snaps in our future...

No comments: