Sunday, June 30, 2013

Think, Create, Talk




 I did something yesterday that I hadn't done in a really, really long time.  I spent the afternoon, which turned into evening, with a really good, old friend.  I also met a great new friend.  The three of us spent about six hours talking, eating, reminiscing and encouraging.  We all had our own stories of trial and triumph.  The friend who hosted us has recently come back from a years long rough patch, which I guess really isn't a patch.  It's more like a cornfield.  A really big one.  Why do bad things happen to good people?  I really don't know, but I know that I'm very happy for her and she definitely deserves it.  She has recently purchased a new home where she can cook and garden (her favorite things), and it also happens to be on a lake.  I took a few pictures of her beautiful, peaceful place.  And yes, the food was delicious!







Today, I finally got around to that DIY project I've been promising.  I love the way it turned out!



This is my yucky, but potentially cool, vintage gossip bench.  $7.50 at an estate sale.





(I don't really want to know what those stains are.)

You may recall that a Facebook friend who is an upholsterer suggested we do a barter sometime.  She really loved this dress, but it was a little pricey.  And wrinkly:


So I put the dress in a box with the seat cushion from my bench and shipped it off to Florida.  We talked on the phone about what I wanted in terms of color and pattern.  I'm not very picky, so she suggested an animal print.  It sounded good to me, and is basically a neutral, so I could go super bright with the frame.  She mailed it back to me in about a week:


Me likey!!

So today, I got my lazy lady paint out (spray!) and went to work.  I chose this periwinkle blue because I thought that pink, red or turquoise would be too predictable.  (Yellow was also on the short list.)  What do you think?



So for the cost of a dress that I couldn't fit anyway, and less than $20 in postage, I remade this intriguing vintage piece into a showstopper.  Fun.  Satisfying.  Source of pride.  

Think and Create, Think and Create, Think and Create.  And talk.  And get paid for it.  Still my dream job and my dream.  A girl can do that, can't she??

No comments: