Monday, November 10, 2014

Mission Accomplished!

The pop-up shop is keeping me busy!  Even though we're only open three days out of each week, I spend the other four rearranging, tagging, and searching for new things.  At least now I have a legitimate reason for shopping and hoarding.  In an effort to not let my inner do-it yourselfer get too lost, I decided that this week I would make a real effort to get my house in order.   First, the toilet in my bathroom was broken, causing me to have to take the tank lid off and lift the plunger to flush.  After a few days of this, the whole handle just fell off.  One day of reaching into that cold water was enough.  I remembered that my handyman had left a bag of "toilet parts" behind, telling me to return them and get my money.  I'm terrible about returning things, so I ignored his advice and figured that I'd give it to someone or sell it at a yard sale.  Amazingly enough, I had exactly what I needed in that bag.  Now this is an incredibly easy task but still, I'd never done it.  I felt like Rosie the Riveter with my newly functioning toilet.

In fact, I was so full of myself that I dragged out the step ladder and tackled the living room drapes.  A couple of well-placed cup hooks and suddenly, no more sagging curtain rod.  No more dragging drapes.  No more duct tape, my sister's solution to EVERYTHING. 
In true "Rosie" fashion, I took it a step further by hanging a vintage Scandinavian curio shelf that had been literally lying around for over a year.  
After going to the shop tonight and moving some furniture, I returned to a lethargic teenager who is really getting nervous about leaving for school next year.  I made him some tea, his favorite comfort food/drink, which he's been drinking since he was a toddler.  Since he wasn't feeling well, I added fresh lemon and sage to hot green tea.  
I just love herbs.  This looks, smells and tastes really "herby".

As I was making a cup for myself, I remembered the empty tea bags I bought awhile back.  Previously only used to create my homemade pest repellant, I realized that they'd likely make a mean cup of tea.  See why it's so important to keep random things around? 
Dried sage.  Just hanging around!
  Look closely and you'll see that my sister and her duct tape have been at it again.

Those tea bags!  Fifty cents well spent.
If I stay this productive, I expect to clean house, grocery shop, make ornaments, run errands, pay bills, take and post some vintage dresses online. After I finish all that work, I'll work.  Being single for six years now has taught me that I can really take care of everything, even if sometimes I don't want to.  




5 comments:

Thriftanista in the City said...

Glad the store is keeping you busy. You have so many treasures. Think you'll go for a permanent bricks & mortar?

Anonymous said...

You mean the one that is permanently closed in Homewood.

Sarah H. said...

The pop up shops' opening and closing dates are dictated by the Village. I wouldn't know whether it's "permananent", however the decision to participate each season is up to the vendor. The shops on Ridge were amazing, and 14th Street had some great vintage items! I hope they come back!

14th Street Vintage said...

Sarah H. has a great answer for your question below:

14th Street Vintage said...

It's on the radar but location is so important.