Wednesday, February 12, 2014

...The More They Stay The Same.

Picking, curb surfing, junking...finding and dragging home other people's castoffs, toss outs---garbage--- has a lot of names, but it's all the same.  For some, it's disgusting.  For others, it's exhilarating.  I happen to fall into the latter category.  

A few years ago, my sister and I started keeping an eye out for "curbside donations" in earnest.  We knew where the good stuff was, which nights were "Garbage Day Eve" in what neighborhoods, and what time each neighborhood got busy dragging it out to the curb.  We turned off the dome light inside the car, packed the kids in the back (they even went so far to put on all black, like cat burglars) and off we'd go from one neighborhood to the next.  It was fun, and became a Thursday night ritual during the summers.  We'd be out until after midnight, sometimes stopping at the house to drop off a load, and going back out.  Back then, we did some hard core "skulking"...a name we gave our Thursday night adventures.  You'd be surprised at where I found some of the beautiful furnishings in my home.  

Prior to '08, I might find the occasional treasure in front of one of my neighbors' homes, like the brass chandelier I brought home about fifteen years ago.  My then-husband disregarded it as a piece of junk that probably didn't work and refused to put it up.  It sat around for ten years until I got divorced.  Then, I had my brother to install it.  Of course it worked perfectly, and I still consider it one of my greatest finds.  I went with my gut (well, actually my heart) and put aside my fears (embarrassment) to grab that baby.  It took ten years for me to finally enjoy it, but it's a beauty and well worth the wait.  Over time, I've gotten less and less concerned with who might see me and what they might think.  

When I drove a minivan, and was a lot stronger, I singlehandedly picked up a vintage exercise bike (extremely heavy, but the adrenaline was flowing!), made my kids jump out and help me load an antique desk into the van, and brought home enough carpeting to carpet half of my basement.  You know those extra pieces that are left after a carpet installation?  I never took a picture of my amazing patchwork wall-to-wall carpet, but it was soft and cushy and free.  Double-sided carpet tape did the trick on a concrete floor.  It took time and patience, but the whole floor was covered in about two months.  It also took a keen eye and general nosiness to know when someone was getting new carpeting.  I found a set of wicker chairs and table, painted them with Krylon, hung a few sarongs and a string of lights, some candles, baskets and magazines and created what my son dubbed "The Chill Zone".  After my separation, we spent a lot of time bonding in the "Zone", complete with furniture, carpet, exercise equipment (including that bike) and Netflix.  We created a similar area in the yard with lots of polyurethane-coated free furniture, windchimes and the 100 or so trees that we had the privilege to live among.  My son, the official "namer" dubbed this area "The Beach".  I was sitting on the beach with Gizmo the Dog when my son came home from school one day and learned that we had...well...Gizmo the Dog.  I picked him up from the shelter and sat in my painted wood Adirondack chair with Gizzy staying close by.  It was a nice after school surprise.

Over the next few years I acquired tables, garden decor, benches, and more.  I never took (or take) anything that's upholstered.  Hard surfaces only!  Except for that carpeting--but I was careful and patient about that, which is why it took over two months to finish the job.  Everything stopped in the garage first, for an overnight visit.  Sometimes daylight revealed flaws that I preferred not to deal with.  A hosing down and disinfecting took place before anything was brought in.  Sometimes my very picky brother would see something that he had to have, even though he condemned the very manner in which I'd acquired it.  To this day, he has never joined me on a "skulk".  Nope.  Just bring him the goods.

It's been over a year since I went out on a hunt.  I miss it, but I have enough stuff, the kids aren't into it any more and I no longer have my van.  I guess that's why I was so excited to see this wooden valet sitting on the curb tonight.  I didn't even have to think about it, I just had to go around the block to get a closer look.  My daughter knows me and didn't even wait for me to ask.  Car slows down, dome light goes off, valet is in the back seat in a flash.  Just like the good old days.

My son already has one of these.  I think I'll paint this one for my daughter!  A new project for me...I'm so excited.

I think I'm back.  The mojo is obviously still working. 

1 comment:

sheilab526 said...

We must be kindred spirited sisters. I love the hunt and the finds.