Monday, February 24, 2014

Not every shirt tells a story...

 So the boy-child has now decided that he can make some college money modeling.  He may be right, but for now, I need him to help me show off some of my thrift finds.  No, he is not getting paid for this.

 I posted this outfit before, folded up on a chair.  The jeans caught my eye, even though I'd never heard of the brand.  A quick search on my phone turned up Buffalo jeans at high-end stores like Nordstrom.  They're pricey and fit my son perfectly.  BUT he doesn't care for them, so I guess they're up for sale.  The sweater is a different story.  He really likes it, and I do too.  It has a "Cosby" vibe, with suede and leather detailing on the front.  He would never have worn this a year ago but now, suddenly, it's cool.  His tastes are constantly changing, but I knew this one was a winner.  

This shirt is by Robert Graham, another very pricey line.  I saw this shirt as I was leaving Goodwill and I turned around to take a look.  I have to admit that I knew nothing about the label, but I could see the quality and the graphic is amazing.  It's a pretty comprehensive history of African Americans in the entertainment industry.  Even on Ebay, his shirts sell for upwards of $75, so this was a good investment, even if my son says "Meh".  Which he did.  

Not every shirt tells a story...but this one does!

I haven't been thrifting quite as much lately, but I have been finding some great things.  No longer mortified by the idea of wearing clothes from the thrift store because it has become trendy, I am having a great time dressing my teenager.  The savings are pretty exciting, too.

Over the weekend, I set up at a health fair.  My sister signed me up.  I am not in the healthcare industry by any means, so what on earth was I going to do?  What on earth was she thinking?  Well, I was stuck so I had to so something.  I decided to make some lip balm to sell or give away.  I did both.  It actually turned out a little sticky, due to my refusal to use a recipe.  Someday I'll learn.  It did look good though!  I used shea butter, cocoa butter, olive oil, beeswax, tangerine oil, vanilla extract and rose petals.  I used some of my gold spray painted items, made some tags and flyers, and set up this impromptu display: 
Last minute, but it worked out.


Be sure to visit me on Facebook and Etsy at 14th Street Vintage.  


No comments: