Thursday, February 20, 2014

Probably Too Much Information.




My daughter needed to get some blood drawn, so I tagged along and had some tests done that I'd been putting off.  As luck would have it, it was walk-in mammogram day, and I only had to wait 20 minutes. In the meantime, I had a x-rays of both my feet.  Ever put off something, like getting a pedicure, and then having that something front and center and being manipulated by a stranger? No?  Well I have, and I'm ashamed to say that this wasn't the first time that I was less than presentable when I entered that lab. There was a cute little blond girl who had the pleasure of taking my x-rays.  I apologized more than once for the ashy, peeling feet, complete with flakes of the bright green polish I put on there before Christmas.  That's two months, in case you're counting.  Trust me when I say that my feet were a fright.  In my defense, they always tell you to refrain from lotions and creams before imaging tests, so I guess there was a good reason that I took my greatest embarrassments out and trotted them around for all the world  lab staff to see, with no attempt made to improve the looks of them before I left the house.


I started this post a few days ago, then fell asleep.  Let's try this again:



I normally have a pretty high threshold for pain, but today was a little different.  I looked at the machine at one point, and it was exerting over 16 pounds if pressure.  If you need a reference for what that feels like, look no further than OWWWWWWW!  These techs are always the nicest people, and they try to make it as pleasant as possible, but today that machine hurt.  On a more fashionable note, I really like the new half gowns they have there and I think I'd like a couple for myself.  (Always eyeing the latest trends!)  A few high-pressure, boob squeezing moments later, and I was done, but still...I dread going.  You have to undress.  You have to put your stuff in the locker.  You have to take your key with you.  You have to be cold because the machines have to stay cold.  They give you a cover-up, then promptly tell you to remove it.  More cold. The x-ray room was the same...cold.  It's been the coldest winter that I can remember and I don't appreciate being cold while being made otherwise uncomfortable.  But it's over for another year.  
I made soup!  My attempt to "cure" my nephew's laryngitis.  It was good, and we're still eating it today.  Four cups of stock: 1 veggie, 2 chicken and 1 thai ginger.  1 cup each: chunked red onion, chunked yellow onion, leeks, red cabbage, tomatilloes, carrots, watercress, kale, celery, turnips, parsnips, red pepper, zucchini, flat leaf parsley, cooked chicken, 3 tablespoons maple syrup.  Yes, you read that right.  I made it up as I went along, which is pretty much how I do everything.  Oh yes, be sure to get the stems off of the kale and watercress because if you have a sore throat, you don't want to deal with them, trust me. 

I boiled three chicken thighs in a quart of water, reserving the liquid.  I added the stock and brought it to a boil.  I added the turnips, parsnips, celery and carrots, boiled for 10 minutes, added the zucchini, onion, pepper, tomatilloes and leeks, boiled 10 more minutes, added the kale, cabbage and watercress, boiled 5 more minutes, added the parsley and chicken, boiled 5 more minutes. Add the syrup.  Let it sit for an hour.  Add seasoning to taste:  garlic, salt, ginger, black pepper, and a few dashes of cayenne.  Heat it up when you're ready to eat!  I call it "Singer's Soup".  We will see if it works...
Looks pretty, tastes great.  And I hand-delivered a quart to my nephew so he could start getting well.  I drove 20 miles to take it to him.  We spoil kids in this family, even if they are in their 20's.

I ended the day at my son's high school choir concert.  You never get tired of watching your kids perform.  From preschool and Sunday School to high school, college, and the soccer field, it is one of my greatest joys.  

And now, I'm going to have a well-deserved bowl of chocolate ice cream, which has already been proven to make you feel better.  
It's fat free!

No comments: