Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Finding History.

So...I've been on hiatus again.  The past week really flew and I had no idea that I had let a whole week go by without reporting in about anything.  Bad, Bad, Bad!  Good thing I have a story to tell.

Yesterday, I went to my mom's safety deposit box.  I thought that I remembered being there in the last 10-15 years, and there wasn't much in there.  WRONG!  While there were no crown jewels or rare coins, what I found was much more valuable.  I found history.  My daughter spent some time a couple of years ago on our family tree and she researched further back than these papers would reflect, but just to see and hold documents that were probably last touched by my dad, who passed away in 1989, or my grandfather, who passed away in 1969, was pretty powerful considering that there were tax bills, licenses, deeds and old insurance policies that dated back to the 30's.  My dad's savings account passbook that he must have opened when he was a young teenager, probably with his first paying job.  $10 in, $4 out.  $15 in, $12 out...it made me wonder if he really needed that four bucks for necessities (which could go pretty far in the 30's) or if he just saw a really cool Dobbs hat with a black feather and striped band that he just had to have, fashionisto that he was. (Yes, I just said FASHIONISTO).  The documents weren't in any particular order, but they were beautifully preserved.  Added now to my list of things to do:  Organize and photograph everything.

I found the hospital bill from my brother's birth.  Did you know that you could spend 7 days in the hospital in 1945 and only owe $53?  Still, it was placed on account, in my father's good name.  I don't know how long it took to pay that bill, but I'm sure that $53 was at least a week's salary. I found pictures of the house I grew up in for the first six years of my life, a house that I vaguely remember.  The house that inspired me to jump out of the window one hot summer day. I remember it as being a lot prettier than it looked in that old black and white photo.  It looks like it's out in the country instead of a suburb 20 miles outside Chicago.  What I do remember correctly, I'm sure, is running around barefoot, getting "grass cuts", playing "Mother May I?" and singing around the family piano.  I remember fun and not a care in the world.  I remember happy.

I found other papers, like my parents' marriage license, several copies of everyone's birth certificates, and deeds to property long ago demolished, including my grandfather's amazing little self-made house with the mini-vineyard in the back, where my parents lived with them and their first four children.   He later added a garage and turned it into a print shop.  I really hate that I have not one memento from that shop, nor do I have my grandmother's locket, my only true heirloom, which was stolen a year ago.  Having these papers bearing both their signatures was like finding gold, albeit not a gold locket.  Both born in the 1890's, less than 50 years post-slavery, they worked hard and made a good life for their small family.  Holding documents bearing their signatures was nearly overwhelming, especially since they both died when I was very young, and I don't remember them very well.  Having a real, tangible piece of their personal history, and mine, is priceless.

Bills of sale from some of my dad's cars over the years, home appraisals, and lottery tickets from the early 1900's held my interest for over two hours, until my daughter reminded me that she had to go to work.  I carefully bundled everything up and put it back in the box.  That temperature controlled, airtight environment is worth every penny of the whopping $28 it takes to keep it each year, even if we don't bother with it for 15 years at a time.  Everything was in pristine condition--like the ink was just-dried.  Clean, crisp, no tears, no crumbling, no yellowing.  With my family mementos all being on paper, the beautifully preserved condition means a lot.  I plan to take them out and bring them home the next time I know that all my siblings will be together.  It will be a great trip down memory lane, a learning experience, and besides, I need help getting it all organized. 

$53 got you a full week at a Catholic hospital.  Talk about affordable healthcare.

1 comment:

Thriftanista in the City said...

That's so cool! You're so lucky to have so much family history.