Sunday, August 25, 2013

Early to Rise...

...Means you get a lot done!  But don't think I'm going to become one of those up early for the sake of being up early kind of people.  Nope, I still love to sleep in, even if "in" only means 8:00.  Today I was up on a Saturday at 7a, getting ready to go downtown to visit the museums.  I've been meaning to go all summer, so that didn't leave me much time.  Unfortunately, I forgot my camera, so I can only show cell phone photos from my antiquated phone.  I invited my friend and her 7-year old to join me and my daughter for breakfast at the Adler Planetarium and then a special presentation of their newest sky show.  Fascinating, as always.  It was a perfect day today so we took a walk around the museum campus and lakefront.  Lots of sailboats and jet-skis on the water, people gathering on the sand, double-decker buses, segue tours, blue bicycles and just the general "amazingness" that is Chicago.  Here, I caught some monarch butterflies hanging out in a nearby butterfly bush.  Where else?




This guy stands in front the the Shedd Aquarium.  He's aptly named...wait for it...Man With Fish.  

  
There was more than one wedding party out for a photo shoot.  Between the gorgeous blue sky and the amazing turquoise water, you couldn't buy a better backdrop.  One bride looked a little perturbed that there were other people there.  I guess she forgot that it's a public place.  Too bad, so sad.  I'm not a bride, but I loved the backdrop too!  I may have photobombed her.  I swear it was an accident. ; )



Afterward, we headed out to the warehouse sale at one of my favorite thrift spots, Restoration Ministries.  I bought no furniture, even though there was a really cute little table with brass legs that was just calling out to me.  Strong woman that I am, I ignored that little table voice.  What I did buy were a few end of summer separates.  Wait until you see my .81 skirt.  That's eighty-one cents.  I'll post some pics tomorrow.  Of course everything I'm wearing in the picture above is either estate sale, thrift store, or my niece's closet purge.  Oh wait!  The shoes are retail--$10 at Bergner's.  You didn't really think I'd pay full-price did you?  

On to a quick visit to Mom's and then to babysit my two favorite boys.  Monopoly, movies, popcorn, pillow fights and a fort that lasted about 15 minutes.  I feel perfectly within my rights to be dog-tired right now, but I had such a great day I had to write about it.  Ah, the simple things.  Food,  family, sun, sky, friends, finds and kids.  That'll work!


No comments: