Tuesday, August 13, 2013

I Can Look, Can't I?

I often lament the shortage of vintage clothing for plus size women.  Over the weekend I nearly hyperventilated over the amount of vintage (beautiful!) and extremely cool clothing I found.  Of course, nothing fit me, except for a few scarves and purses.  Whenever you see me, I will likely be wearing one of three things:  A vintage scarf, vintage jewelry, vintage shoes or carrying a vintage purse.  I like the style, the quality and the vibe.  I used to love playing dress up from my mom's closet.  The hats with the hat pins, the fur collars with the faces (not really...those things used to, and still do, scare me), the gloves, dresses and even the aprons.

Now, I love having those same items in my own closet.  I have amassed quite a collection of vintage accessories and jewelry.  I also have lots of vintage clothing, but unless it's something my daughter will wear, it goes up for sale.  Sometimes certain pieces are with me for a long, long time.  Since I won't buy or sell anything that I don't like personally, it is a little sad that I can't just go ahead and wear those items myself.  Why torture myself?  Because I still like to look at them!  With significant prodding, I can usually get my daughter to be my human Barbie and let me dress her up for a quick photo shoot.  Today, just coming in from work, she wasn't really in the mood, so I had to switch up between her and Gertrude the Dummy.


She wonders what on earth an apron this fancy could possibly be used for?


Love this two-piece dress.  


Going to work, 90's style!


1950's cotton dress with a leather tie belt.  Cuteness!


Dinner party, anyone?


Between my memories of my mother's wardrobe and those of my favorite t.v. moms, I can in some way relate to most of the vintage clothing items that I find.  That's just amazing.  Cool.  Fun.  

By the way, let me know if you see anything you feel you must have.  After all, everything's for sale!

No comments: