Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Things That Make You Go La La La.

Yesterday, when I was doing my "power shopping" thrift store rounds I found a glass tray which closely resembled a Georges Briard.  I wasn't familiar with the pattern and it wasn't signed, but for five bucks I liked it well enough to buy it.  I started not to, because my cart was pretty full and it was my third stop of the day, which meant that I had at least two more before I called it quits.  I had a really good reason for all the thrifting though, because I have a decorating job and I'm using all vintage items--of course So I really wasn't spending my own money...!  I laid the tray in the cart sideways to keep it away from everything else.  Suddenly, as I stopped to look at "just one more thing" I heard a crash.  You know how some shopping carts have holes in the end? (Look next time you're out and you'll see what I mean.)  My faux Briard was on the floor in about two dozen pieces.  No chance of ever seeing that one again.  I was bummed because I was still going to have to spend that five bucks that I wrestled with spending in the first place, but now I wouldn't even have the tray to show for it!  There's a first time for everything I guess, and this was my first experience with the old saying "you break, you buy!"

Clean up in Aisle 2!  Well, it's a small store so no intercom was needed, but one of the clerks made a beeline for the noisy aisle and saw me staring down at the mess of broken glass.  He asked me if I was okay, cleaned it up, and I decided it was time to go and quit while I was ahead no further behind. I will always wonder if it really was a Briard.  I was just thinking about this a little while ago when I decided to take a look at what I'd brought home yesterday.  It's real funny how things work out because I'd bought a vintage martini set at Goodwill before I stopped at New Uses and BROKE THE TRAY.  For the first time, I took a good look at it.  Let me just add that if I see a vintage martini set, I'm getting it regardless of who made it and especially if it has a swizzle stick.  So I was looking at the graphic, a gorgeous pink and gold "three muses" design and would you believe it...?  Signed Georges Briard.  Say What??

So all the while I was lamenting the loss of a possible Briard, I had one in the bag the whole time.  Smh.  Pretty, isn't it?

It turned out to be a great day for my favorite combo--thrifted+vintage+mint condition=____________.  You know the answer, right?  Okay, here's another way:

 Thrifted
+Vintage
+Mint condition
________________
Bettie's favorite combo.

I'm happy.  So happy that I want to sing the Smurfs theme song.

You're welcome to sing along!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjpVWKS_I7M

Oh yes...I almost forgot.  They didn't make me pay for the broken item.  I think that calls for another round of LaLa's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjpVWKS_I7M

No comments: