Friday, August 9, 2013

Famous for Fires.

Most everyone knows about the Great Chicago Fire, started (in theory) by Mrs. O'Leary's cow, who my mom says "kicked the bucket".  Supposedly the cow turned over a lantern and the straw inside the barn caught on fire.  With most of the city being made of wood, sidewalks included, it didn't take long for the entire city to ignite. Add to that the fact that there was a drought, and it was windy (this is the "Windy City")and you had the makings of an incredibly destructive fire.  And while the fire did seem to start in that barn, I think it's unfair to blame the cow.  After all, there had been other fires that day.  The reporter who originally wrote the story admitted to making up the cow story.  It is a good one. 


Finally!  My name is cleared!


Chicago has embraced, if not capitalized on it's notoriety.  From a professional soccer team called the Fire, to a television show which is filmed here, called "Chicago Fire", there has been a lot of triumph named for, it not borne of, this tragedy. Yesterday, while driving in the city, I saw a huge placard which announced that an episode of the show was being filmed on that particular street, so I guess that's the disclaimer in case anyone tries to get paid for getting caught in a shot.  Hoping to get a cameo, I rolled down my windows and started to wave and scream.  Later, I was reminded that since the street scenes are supposed to look natural, it was unlikely that if I was caught on camera, I'd be allowed to stay there.  Already on the cutting room floor before my career even started!  

An obviously controlled, but very out of control looking fire started.  Then it went out.  Then it started again.  I was at a housewarming in a nearby high-rise, and the balcony was a perfect place to see all the action.  So close...yet so far.  I can't believe I messed up my big break.  



So if you ever find yourself in the middle of a movie or t.v. set, remember...act naturally and don't make any sudden moves, like screaming and waving at the camera.  







No comments: