Saturday, August 10, 2013

The Motherlode...At Last!

I've always wanted to hit upon a great opportunity to get some great vintage items at little to no cost.  I've done a few estate sales and have been able to take pretty much whatever I want after the sale is done, but of course, the idea is to sell everything. So I do my best to get something  for everything in the house so that the owner makes the biggest possible profit.  What I always dream of is the chance to just get at somebody's great grandmother's attic.  Well, I still haven't gotten that chance, but I had a great stroke of luck today.

I went out for just two things:  go to the ATM and get toilet paper.  Honestly, it was the only reason I left the house before noon today.  I wanted the t.p. before my kids woke up.  Since it's Saturday, and they're not usually up before 12 or so, I figured I had just enough time to pick up this necessity, which I swear I wasn't out of, but for the life of me, couldn't find the stash.

I passed a few garage sales, but I was focused, and stayed on the path but on the way back home I decided to stop at JUST ONE.  I had a little trouble finding the street after I saw the sign on the highway and I think that challenge is what kept me from just letting it go.  It was the best stop I could've made because I scored a great mid-century modern wood slat bench. If only I'd found it when I was still living in the MCM house that I used to own!  I don't even have a picture yet, but I promise to share it soon.  While I was loading it into my car I got a call from a friend who told me that she'd found a real life hoarder house and it was in the process of being emptied out.  If I could get there and was willing to dive in, I could take what I wanted.  OMGoodness...seriously?  I can't say that my dream came true because it was quite scary, but I got some amazing things.  At a great price--free.  Yeah, Baby!

It got me wondering what could lead someone to live in such conditions.  I mean, there was so much in that house that told the story of someone who really lived.  She was obviously well-traveled, loved expensive things, had the means to buy them, and pampered herself.  There was one bathroom that we thought was a closet, simply because when the door was opened there was a solid wall of lotions, creams and other potions.  We had no idea that it was just the entry into the room.  There was literally no getting past it.  At one point I was standing on a mountain of clothing, books, and other things, only to realize that there was a bed under me.  It was completely consumed with stuff.  It was really very sad.  What changed?  All her clothing was sorted, categorized and labeled.  One garment bag was labeled "good stuff" and was zipped and hanging.  Everything inside was perfect. How do you get from meticulous to mayhem?  I won't even go into the feathers (from the numerous birds that were apparently moved before I got there) and the shells, coral and gravel that were dumped at some point out of the 10 or so aquariums.  From beauty queen to bird lady?  From fascinating to fishmonger?  I'm intrigued to say the least.  I'm going back to look for clues as to what happened.  But I'll be going back with boots, gloves and a mask.


No comments: