Wednesday, October 2, 2013

A False Sense of Security.

Some things you just don't expect to happen twice.  Some years ago, I received a letter in the mail from the hospital, saying that their computers had been hacked and although they were sure that no sensitive information had been taken, that I should be cautious anyway.  They suggested that I monitor my credit report for possible identity theft.  When they later started harassing me about a bill for services that my insurance company should have paid, I reminded them of the security breach and told them that for those headaches alone, they should let it go. It took a well-written and lengthy letter to finally get them off my back.  The letter wasn't asking for leniency, it was just strongly suggested that they check their records.  I never heard from them again.

Wouldn't you know it?  I got another letter, this time from a different hospital.  There had been a break-in and some computers were stolen.  None of my information was there because I don't go to that hospital, but my son does.  They went so far as to offer a one-year membership to have his report monitored.  But he doesn't have a report, right?  I'll be signing up tonight and I hope to see a lot of blank spaces.  Maybe it's just me, but I'm wondering whether they might want to beef up the security around their offices.  This is so potentially damaging!  I remember seeing a lady on television who was about to be arrested because it was reported that she'd abandoned her baby at the hospital.  It took her kids to convince authorities that their mom had not recently been pregnant.  What happened  was someone found a discarded medicine bottle and gleaned enough information off of the label to get her insurance information, then checked into the hospital and delivered a baby, using this woman's name.  When the child was left at the hospital, the police quickly found the mom whose name had been used to check in to the hospital.  Talk about too much information!  I think we take for granted that our information is safe.  What's the point of progress if we have to keep backtracking?  Now if we still used paper filing, everything would have been locked up in a drawer in a metal filing cabinet and only the Boss and some lady named Bertha would have the keys. No one could steal that thing--too heavy!  Reminds me of a movie where a couple of guys stole an ATM.  They succeeded in stealing it, then couldn't figure out how to open it.  I'll just say that they went through a LOT of trouble to get it, then they never did get the money.  So even if someone was successful in moving one of those old, heavy, steel filing cabinets, they'd then have to figure out how to open it.  From my experience, the drawers are always malfunctioning, and if you leave the top drawer open, it may just tip over.  So no, not worth the trouble.  Computers are getting slimmer and slimmer, making it quite easy to grab and go.  Kind of a win-win for the thief.  I guess next it will be my daughter's turn, then we will all have had our brush with identity theft, courtesy of the local hospital.  Thanks guys.  Now can you please explain why you charged me six bucks for a Tylenol??




No comments: