Wednesday, October 23, 2013

I'm Baaaack!

It's been awhile since I posted!  I was super busy trying to get ready for the Vintage Garage Chicago last Sunday and decided to give myself a break.  Things didn't turn out well.  I usually drive a van with the seats out, which gives me a ton of space.  Not so this time!  I had to make it with my car and my sister's car.  Deciding what not to take was the hardest.  Of course I took all the wrong things, and left out those items that I'm SURE would have sold!  Not to worry, I didn't lose my shirt and I met a ton of great people, potential customers, and best of all, great vendors who continue to teach me a lot.  Finding my niche...

I'm officially packing.  I've been struggling with the "townhouse vs. house" and I think the townhouse has won.  Having the upkeep taken care of is pretty enticing.  I haven't necessarily enjoyed being connected to my neighbors this past year, but I think having a neighbor beside me, rather than under me will make a difference in the amount of noise I hear, as well as the amount of noise I can make.  I took out my guitar yesterday and did about 10 minutes of Billy Swan's "I Can Help".  Well, about 7 minutes of trying to remember the chords, and 3 minutes of actually playing and singing.  Man, I forgot how much I love to play the guitar!  It's just a little strumming and my repertoire of about 15 chords, but that allows me to play a LOT of songs.  I just need to remember which ones for which song.  It's been a few years since I played but it's coming back pretty easily.  Maybe I'll post a video one of these days ;) now that I can be my true noisy self again. The home prices are really attractive however, but I think in this case, I'll give myself another break and leave the worries to someone else, namely the homeowners' association.  I hope they don't fine me for too much singing.

Leaves, pumpkins, candles--I spent some time today decorating my church for it's 98th Anniversary!  That's a pretty old church, and it looks it, but I love the old stuff, as you know.  Old houses, old clothes, old churches...old charm, old style, old class.  Some people get it, some don't. Ah well...the things that make the world go 'round.

It is officially cold, and although I really hate cold weather, I had a feeling I might just welcome it this time.  I have to say that it's great to not find myself sweating 24 hours a day, but I did something really dumb a few months ago.  I gave away most of my coats and I knew that I would regret it, but I had just had enough of them.  I was sick of being cold and bundled up and itchy and uncomfortable.  Luckily I have a leather jacket, which will have to do until I get out to buy a real winter coat.  I thought I had another month to worry about it.  Why I thought that, I'll never know.  I've lived in Chicago my whole life so I know that nothing is etched in stone as far as the weather's concerned.  Being allergic to wool, my options are limited.  Last year I spent most of the winter in layers of sweaters and shawls.  I looked like a bag lady, but at least I could peel something off when needed.  When it dipped below zero, I had to reach for the coat, but I hated every minute of it.  That's when I decided that I was going to California as soon as my son graduates from high school.  For starters, I got rid of my coats as a strangely symbolic gesture of my commitment to leaving winter behind.  I begged for the spring to come.  I dreaded the summer, but I thought I could handle it.  I did not expect such an onslaught of my own personal summer to add itself to the already rising external temperatures.  If you read my blog on a regular basis, you already know that I melted down, quite literally, on a regular basis.  As of today, cold trumps hot.  I may change my mind in another few weeks.

Well, it's time for my favorite show, "Criminal Minds".  It's a tradition that my son and I watch it together every Wednesday that we're at home.  It's that time...I can hear him calling me.  It's good to be back.  Check in with you guys tomorrow!










No comments: