Friday, September 6, 2013

Perfectly Doable.

I have no idea who, if anyone is going to read this post.  Who will know, besides me, that I've done this 99 times before, over the past few months?  I would love to have tons of readers, but the fact that I don't hasn't stopped me.  I love sitting down to write about whatever is on my mind, or how my day went. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time, and a few months ago I finally made myself sit down and get started.  This is a big deal for me, because I'm not great with follow-through, and I procrastinate a lot, especially when it comes to doing something just for me.

I went to a memorial service for a close family friend, a family member by marriage.  He was in his 60's, but never slowed down.  He was living up until the day he died.  Spending time with family, gardening, traveling, teaching...the comments from friends, family and colleagues were all pretty much the same--he was a great guy who loved life, loved family, loved his friends.  He was always willing to lend a helping hand and he never let his status in life go to his head.  He was a humble man, who loved God and lived as exemplary a life as he could.  Love.  Live.  These words must have been repeated 100 times or more, and on the back of the printed program was a picture of him on a ziplining outing, with a huge (if not crazed!) smile on his face.  This was shortly after losing his son and likely in the midst of a devastating illness, even if we weren't all quite aware of how bad it was.  He squeezed as much living into his 60+ years as he possibly could, and while that may seem like a lot of time to us, I doubt if it does when yours is close to ending.  I think maybe when you live that fully, you don't want it to end because you're having so much fun.  Or, like me, if you have spent a lot of your life waiting--then you regret all the things you haven't done, still waiting for the right time to do them.  If you're going to have one of these problems, I'm guessing you wouldn't want to stand on my side of the line.  But, I'm also guessing that a lot of you are.

So here's what we're going to do!  Starting right now, plan something for tomorrow that you've been putting off, afraid to do, not wanting to do by yourself, or waiting for the right time.  Don't go nuts now!  Some things take preparation, but something simple like seeing a movie you didn't want to go to alone (do it anyway, it's dark in there and nobody cares) is perfectly doable, and you can cross that off your list.  That recipe?  Make your list and get to the store!  That phone call or drop-by visit?  Do it!

 Get yourself a hotel room and chill out with room service, a movie, or a late-night swim.  You deserve it!  Color your hair.  Go to an estate sale and buy somebody's old stuff (my personal favorite!)  Drive out to the middle of nowhere, or go to the beach.  Perfectly doable.  Tomorrow.  Today.  Right now.


I started out not knowing what to write about in this, my 100th post.  Now I'm thinking about number 101!  Perfectly doable...

No comments: