Wednesday, March 4, 2015

I See A Kimono In My Future.

Right now I am just sitting in my bed, relaxing, surfing the internet, and eating Cuties.  I love Cuties.

But I have been extremely busy today with work and didn't have time to start on several projects that I've been looking forward to, including this one:

Like many trends from last year, I never got in on the kimono thing.  First off, when I searched "kimono" I found a ton of them in plus sizes, but they weren't really kimonos.  I wanted the big, rectangular sleeves, asymmetrical lapels, and the weird sides that make it difficult to know just where your arms are supposed to go.  All I could find was flowy, open front cardigans.  Today's version of a kimono I guess, but I really wanted a real one.  I found one at an estate sale last year, but it was way too small.  I ended up selling it.  Fast forward to last weekend, and I hit an estate sale during the last hour.  I was really frugal and picked up a couple of copper-bottomed pots, which I really needed.  I bought a vintage cookbook because I really like them.  And I found a kimono.  I loved the vintage fabric, but I figured I would sell it. It was just $5, but at the checkout, I found a few rips in the seams.  I decided to keep it anyway, because if nothing else, I'd use the floral fabric for something else.  I've really been missing my sewing machine.  I haven't made anything to wear in over 20 years, so I thought I'd start with some repair work, and maybe graduate to a skirt.  This vintage fabric would make a really cute skirt, and since I have a hard time finding vintage clothing in my size, I figured the next best thing would be to make my own using vintage fabric. 
Surprisingly enough, I washed it, put it on, and it almost fit!  Now, of course kimonos are oversized because they wrap, but what was really part of the design proved to be enough "extra" fabric to actually cover my entire self.  Still not happy though, because it's meant to fit very loosely, so I still wanted that look.  
Rather than sew up the torn parts, I decided to rip the seam completely out.  Those threads were really old because the seam basically shredded in my hands.  Three seconds on each seam, and the thing was completely open along both sides.  My thought was to add a complimenting piece of fabric on the sides to enlarge the robe.  But, I didn't have time to do anything more than deconstruct it. We'll see how this turns out.  I'm looking forward to going outside on the first warm spring morning, looking like a lady of leisure in my vintage kimono.  Dahling!

I'll be a year behind the trend, but that's not really anything new.  I can't wait to get started!





No comments: