Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Old Habits Die Hard!

Okay, I kind of stuck to my plan.  I decided that rather than shopping (thrifting) for new clothes, I would shop my closet.  I've done that, without buying anything to wear for myself during all of January and February.  March hasn't been so good.  It all started with my sister, who has jumped on the thrifting bandwagon and drags me to the store more than I do her.  We went out a couple of weeks ago, and I didn't buy much except for a nice Dior dress shirt for my son, and this gorgeous Ralph Lauren, which is way too big for him, so I'm hoping to sell it.  I couldn't pass it up because it's orange and blue, one of my favorite color combos, and it's such a well-made shirt.  

Size XL in case you're interested.
Skirt not included!
Then she dragged me out again!
   I'd been told that a Goodwill store that recently opened had treasures galore, as in designer brand clothing and shoes.  I felt like I needed some shoes, so I made the suggestion to my sister that we go there last Saturday, and she ran with the idea.  Anything that's italicized is here solely to make me feel less guilty about going back on my promise not to thrift...as much.  But again, I was in total control (couldn't really find anything) and bought one dress, a set of vintage equestrian drinking glasses, and a set of mugs which I'm going to swap out for the summer with what's currently in my cabinet.  I love flowers, but pretty much everyone knows that:

It's been awhile since I bought any
"seasonal" dishes.  
I also bought a great-smelling jar candle, which is cool because I've been burning my large candles a lot, and that can get pretty expensive.  This one was only $2, and it retails for about $30.  And no, it had not been previously burned.  I get that pleasure:



The rest of the mini-haul.  You'll see in a minute why this is considered mini.  Maria Callas/Madame Butterfly, a bracelet (of course!) a chartreuse and bone chevron striped bag and a vintage (think 50's) mens' floral henley.  I think my son likes it!
Look at that print!!

Then today, only because my partners in crime  friends on the Thriftanista Social Club Facebook page started posting mega-thrift hauls, I could no longer control myself and decided to do some real thrifting.  I stuck with the tag colors of the day (green, blue, yellow 1/2 off) but picked up a few pink and orange tags.  Even with that, I don't think any one item cost more than $4.  NEWSFLASH!!!!  Tags of the day were also buy one, get one free.  So the $9 down jacket was only $4.50, and the $5 dress was free.  And so on...

Gizmo decided right away that this reversible down
jacket would be his bed for the day.  


So cute!  For my daughter.

Chaus.  For my sister.  If she can't fit it,
it's for sale.

Leslie Fay.  I think this very consistent brand is
 underrated.  I think this dress is "da bomb.com"

Ellos?  Never heard of it, but this shapeless
frock will either be a nightgown, or my
Sunday outfit.  Oh yes I would!

Didn't know that Koi was a brand of nurses'
apparel.  I found this out before I bought it.
Got it anyway. 

I just think one sunny day I'll be real happy
that I have this skirt.  It's crinkly.  I hate ironing.
We are a perfect match.

As much as I love bold color, I also love a
tiny print.  I think this satiny skirt will be
one of my favorites.  Sometimes you just know.
  
One can never have too many
jewelry holders.
I ran into a friend coming down the aisle with this
and knowing I have a thing for lucite, she just
handed it over.
                                                                                                 

Extract of Opium.  Oh yes I did!
Unfortunately, this vintage apothecary jar
is missing it's lid, but I plan to use it for
cut flowers.  Maybe my favorite find
of the day.

I already had this White House/Black Market
blouse in my "take pics and sell" cabinet.  It's
been there for almost a year.


I obviously had to buy this when I saw
it today.  Obviously.


Style and Co., new with tags.  Selling.

No thrifting trip, or day, would be complete
without bracelets.  Even with my huge collection,
I did not have either of these colors.  I know, right?
  
I kinda knew my son would take issue with the
little guy on the surfboard.  He's having none
of it.  Board shorts, anyone?

And with that, I'm officially off the wagon, but I'm pretty pleased with my thrifty finds so far this month.  I got out today at just $27 and some change.  

Think I got my money's worth?  







No comments: