Thursday, March 26, 2015

Homemade Turkey Pot Pie

This is me, Queen of the Shortcut, so don't expect tons of detail here.  But if you're okay with "eyeballing it" a pinch of this and a dash of that, then you will love this recipe.  I made it up as I went along, and I might also add, I've never made a pot pie in my life that didn't come from the freezer case.  Which means I've never actually made one.  This was so good though, that it will definitely be in heavy rotation.  It got rave reviews from the people who count most, my family.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and gather the following:

Cubed or chunked turkey breast
Frozen vegetables, your choice
Cream Starter
Fresh or dried rosemary and basil
Fresh baby kale
Homemade or store bought dough

Just a few steps and you'll have a great meal on the table in no time!

Image result for comfort food




Aldi sells a turkey tenderloin that is so good!  I think it costs about $7 and comes with two in the package, each weighing about a pound.  I cooked two, and since I wasn't eating meat for a couple of weeks, there was a lot left over.  I chunked it up and froze it.  I'd say this is about two cups of turkey tenderloin.  It's already seasoned, so don't use salt, please.  I defrosted the turkey, and tossed it into an iron roaster.  No top needed.


A one pound bag of frozen mixed veggies on top of the meat. 


I had this product on the shelf from a box of free products I tested a few of months ago.  I used about 3/4 of the box, or enough to saturate the vegetables.  




Next, I made a dough from flour, milk and one egg.  I'm sure refrigerated dough would be a great shortcut next time, but I didn't have any.



I rolled it out pretty thin.  

Before I placed the dough on top, I put a sprig of rosemary and some basil flakes on the veggies.


A layer of fresh baby kale.  I'm always trying to "healthy up" my meals. 


And I tucked it in all around.  Refrigerated dough would look neater, but I wouldn't just cut to fit.  Add extra around the edges and really "tuck" it in. 


Because it will boil over anyway!  
I cooked it for about 45 minutes.  Of course I didn't time it so I really don't know.  Just wait for it to look like this...nice golden crust and creamy goodness oozing from the sides.  I was happy with the color the sauce took on.  


It looked great, but I didn't know what to expect in terms of the taste.  


Yeah, I thought the same thing.  That looks delicious!  And it was.  

Write me with any questions at 14th.st.vintage@gmail.com or just post in the comments section.

No comments: