Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Pick Your Poison.


I really cannot believe how fast the weeks go by.  Nine days since I wrote my last post?  I had no idea.  And I was doing so much better...but time flies!

Not to worry, because I have lots to say.

I've been thinking about switching to a different blogger platform, revamping my Etsy store, taking some classes...all kinds of things which just make me feel so overwhelmed that I end up changing nothing.  I am so fearful that I'll get into the middle of one of these changes and realize it's more work than I thought, or maybe I just won't like the result.  Once in the middle, you have just as far to travel back as you do to forge ahead.  I hate that!  Ideas, projects, and a lingering migraine mean that my head is on overload.  I spent most of the day in and out of bed, getting up for food and to let the dog out, then back to my pillowy office.  I actually got quite a bit done, but still can't quite shake the headache.  My daughter just came in from class and brought me a Shamrock Shake.  I'm allowed one per season so I guess this was it.  Speaking of her, she has been fighting a "fluish" thing, and she hates to take off work.  She has about an eight block walk once she gets off the train, and with single digit temps, she can hardly put on too many clothes.  Being completely fashion-conscious, she laid out a few cute but warm outfits.  Word is, she's the best dressed girl at work.  Jeans are acceptable, but she's just not going there.  She says it's a professional office and she has to dress that way, even if no one else is.  She had this out for today.  I took a picture of it because I recognize all the components as finds from various thrift stores.  Made me a little sentimental...I took a trip down Memory Lane  Thrift Store Aisle:
She shops her closet too!

Remember that I have a crazy long-term memory, but I burn dinner at least once a week.  Because of this, I can remember that I bought this soft turquoise sweater when she lived in Springfield, and I was always buying her clothes and sending them to her.  She asked me to stop because she was running out of room.  Nevah!  Anyway, I was so concerned that she might get cold while waiting for the bus, so I bought tons of sweaters and vests to layer.  This suede one gets so much wear that I finally broke down and washed it because I was tired of paying to have it dry cleaned.  It came out beautifully.  I will never take it to the dry cleaners again. The skirt?  I can't remember where, but I know it's H&M and I bought it because it has both light blue and metallic turquoise threads running through it which I thought were so pretty on this fall-ish plaid.  I bought a light blue sweater at the time, but I totally approve of this.  The color is so rich...she was warm and stylish today.  The only thing better would be if I could wear it myself.  

I listed another martini set that I spied at Goodwill.  At first I just saw the glasses, which ironically was a set of five.  I had a near-identical set of five at home already.  I believe they're Dorothy Thorpe and the original set has been up for sale for quite some time because without the pitcher, it's tough to sell these glasses.  I was shocked to find the pitcher too, on a completely different shelf.  That's why it pays to be patient when thrift shopping, and it also doesn't hurt to bring an extra pair of eyes.  Not glasses, eyes.  My sister was with me and she actually spotted the pitcher.  So now I have a mint condition martini set with ten glasses!  That's a nice set, and if (when) I find a swizzle stick for it, so much the better.  


Isn't she lovely?



And in the "so glad it didn't sell" department:


I found this Briard ice bucket while my pop up was still open.  It's missing the handle, but it is yellow...Still, I priced it at just $12.  It didn't sell.  Defies logic.  But today, seeing the snow start to fall, I started really craving spring so I started looking through the cabinets at all of my spring and summer serveware.  I Cannot Wait to use this, missing handle and all.  I love yellow, I love the mid-century style, and I love ice.  If you read any of my early blogs, you understand why.  Hey, I just had a thought.  Given my mid-life status, I should probably keep all of my ice buckets and stash one (with ice) in every room.  That way, if I get a sudden urge to cool off, I can drop a few cubes down my back.  I'm going to give this more thought...

I ended up bringing home much of what I took to the pop up. Most is still for sale online, but in addition to my ice bucket, I still have these rings which probably would have sold, but I took them "off the market" after the first weekend because I really didn't know what I had.  The workplace bully had a moment there, where she gave me some helpful advice.  "Don't keep those rings where they can easily be taken.  They're Mexican silver you know".  Nope, I didn't.  I can't read what's inside them, partly because the letters are worn down, and partly because it's in Spanish. A few weeks later, I realized that one of them opens up.  A poison ring!  

Some people call it a prayer ring.  Some call it a pill ring.  BUT, I am convinced that they were mainly used by adversaries and jilted lovers. So here's how it works.  You put a little arsenic in the "bowl", close it up,  take your nicely manicured hand with the silver and amethyst ring, and offer to pour your enemy a drink.  A quick flick and voila!!  The contents are quickly dumped into their glass.  Seriously, whoever came up with this was pretty dark and sinister.  Either way, it was a nice surprise and I really like the ring.  Plus, it's adjustable, which usually signals cheap, but it's very common to find these in adjustable styles.  Looking at my ring's markings, I'd say it was made in the late 30's.  Found in the "hoarder house", the gift that just keeps on giving.  Along with this ring, I found several other pieces of vintage silver, including this one with a big brown stone.  (That's the technical term.)  Right now, these two are getting lots of "wearplay":



Bullies can sometimes be useful.  But not often.
And with that, this week is officially half over. Time flies!

No comments: