Monday, February 16, 2015

How I Indulge My Inner Shopaholic.

I've made a commitment to shop less and use what I already have more.  For clothing, this is pretty easy.  I work from home so there are only a couple of days a week that I actually care about what I wear.  I think that may be even more pressure.  If I'm only out and about two days a week, then I have absolutely no excuse to not try to look my best.  One day on, three days off, and so on...

I've been "shopping my closet" with the goal of finding new and different things to wear.  I'm doing well, with no repeats, and more importantly, I'm wearing those items that have just been hanging out in my closet for a long time.  Like this purple blouse.  My niece gave it to me about a year ago, and I really couldn't see myself wearing it.  It took me a month to figure out how to button it.  The buttons don't line up with the buttonholes in order to create a draped effect.  Kind of like very soft, flat ruffles.  Once I figured that out, this shirt went to the back of the closet.  It even rode around in my car for about a month because I was going to give it away.  No takers, so I eventually brought it back inside.  I really love this blouse, but not for me.  I don't do ruffles.  I don't do satin.  I don't do velvet.  I don't do sleeveless.  I definitely don't do tucked in. Shopping my closet has taken me out of my comfort zone:

Free blouse, thrifted skirt (I thought it would make me look fat).
I love how it hangs!  Thrifted pumps, thrifted and gifted
accessories.  My daughter bought me the rhinestone
hoops, and the huge rhinestone bracelet was a gift from
a friend. 

Other things I don't do?  I don't do layers, I don't do horridzontal stripes.  I don't do necklaces that are less than 24" long.  Liar, Liar:



I really, really, really like these brown tights and t-strap shoes.
The shoes were a freebie and the skirt is thrifted.  I think the tights
cost more than anything else.  I don't thrift anything that stays
this close to my body.

I found this skirt early in the fall, when I went into a thrift store with one goal:  Find something fabulous, that is unlike anything else I own.  It was one of those days when I needed a boost.  I couldn't believe this multi-colored, lined knit skirt.  It was a great fit, with plenty of waistline room, but not too much in the hips, the reality of which is the bane of my fashion existence.  An out of control waistline and belly, and hips which remain at least recognizable to me.  It's a tough shape to dress, seriously. I wore this skirt once, with a blue sweater and boots (there's a blue stripe in there somewhere), and today I paired it with brown and green.  It's really a very lightweight knit, so I can't wait to wear it this spring, but I'm loving the monochromatic tights and shoes on me this winter.  Kinda like wearing boots.  But not.  


The sweaters are both thrifted.  I really hate layers because
they make me feel bulky, and I'm always "flashing".  Two
long-sleeved sweaters?  This is a first.  The brown sweater
is really lightweight and the green one slightly cropped.
A little boxy for me...or so I thought.  Turns out, it's one
of my favorites.  Accessories, from the huge collection
of costume jewelry, scarves and hair thingys that I own.
Favorite accessory?  My smile.  I can't wear it often enough.

Every girl loves new clothes, but some of us are on a tight budget.  I love that I can stay in the fashion game and still feed my kids.  I basically spent the whole weekend wearing things that I never wear.  Things I hate to wear.  Things that look terrible on me. 

Never be afraid to admit when you're wrong.  Especially to yourself. 





No comments: