Friday, February 13, 2015

Valentines' Day Prep

I have been drinking different versions of this "detox" tea every day since the beginning of the year.  The basic ingredients--apple cider vinegar, fresh lemon, honey, cayenne pepper, turmeric and ginger don't change.  I add other spices depending on what I have on hand to the mix:  basil, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon--all of which promise to do everything from lower blood pressure and cholesterol to reducing inflammation.  I need all of that, thanks.  There is also a lot to be said for cleansing your system, and I dirty mine up with plenty of things that I shouldn't be eating, but don't plan to stop.  Like sweet potato pie-- arguably my favorite food.  I've used vinegar, lemon and honey for sore throats and colds for years, as far back as my early 20's and I've always given it to my kids. It works!  As one of my new years' resolutions, I was doing great with my detox drinking every day, until I started running out of things, and not feeling like going out into the cold to get more.  These past two weeks, I've made a weaker version, with no vinegar, then meager amounts of lemon, and now with no honey.  Guess what?  I'm sick!  My sinuses are under attack, and I'm sniffling.  I'm convinced that my unusual drink was keeping me healthy.  I'm sure that I won't run out of it again.


Kinda pretty?

And while I really should be getting ready to go out, all I want to do is take a nap.  At this point the nap idea is winning.  I have three outfits ready, but my fashion photographer daughter is in Miami.  Her little brother is here, but his unflattering pictures of me show how disinterested he really is. Still, he'll do just about anything if I slip him a $10 bill so if I get desperate I can call him in.  Of course, I'm not feeling my best either, but just in case I do leave the house, the outfit lineup is as follows:
 Outfit #1 is anchored by a red, white and black striped cardigan that I've been saving just for Valentines' Day, however I realized that it has a "Where's Waldo?" vibe that I am not comfortable with. 
Outfit #2 is gold and black, centered around an amazing $100 skirt that I found, new with tags, for just $2 and a pair of painted black tights that I've been thinking about for months.  Unfortunately, the project didn't go as planned, and they don't look....presentable  good.  
The set up was promising...
Outfit #3 is purple, a color that I really don't wear often.  I'm concerned that it may be a little too much fuss for me and you know I have issues with feeling "conspicuous".  It involves velvet, satin, and tiers.  Sounds like Scarlett O'Hara.  So let's see.  I have Waldo, Scarlett and a bad paint job. At this rate, I'll be lucky to find a bathrobe that I'm happy with. 

 The big reveal will be tomorrow.  What do you think I'll decide on?  

Speaking of decisions, I made a really bad one today.  I make smoothies all the time and I experiment with different fruits and veggies. This one has beet juice, purple carrot and sweet potato, plus lots of cherries and blueberries.  The color is amazing.  The taste?  Not so much. Make that awful. Beets in a smoothie just isn't working for me.  Filed in the "never again" file. 
Bad Decision!

How are you prepping for Valentines' Day?  


No comments: