Thursday, January 1, 2015

2015---My Year to KEEP My Resolutions (I'm really good at making them...!)

The last resolution that I really kept was about 20 years ago, when I vowed to never ride in a car without my seatbelt.  I have kept that one almost perfectly.  I have to admit that on those very rare occasions that I find myself in the back seat (I'm usually driving), I forget to put it on because I feel so restrained already.  It's tight back there, much tighter than it used to be.  Which should bring me to another very obvious resolution, but I stopped making the weight loss resolution a couple of years ago.  I do vow to get healthy again.  But back to the seatbelt thing...I never panic at a checkpoint because I know that I, and my passengers are always buckled up.  Even when I'm riding in the front passenger seat, I just feel exposed without my seatbelt.  So about 99.5% of the time, I'm buckled up.  I think I can smash that other .5% without too much problem.  Just stay up front, right?

The holidays were great!  So much so that I didn't have any time to blog.  Nothing really new happened, but the happiness was just amplified.  I was blessed to be able to pull the funds together to put some cool gifts under the tree for the "kids".  My turkey turned out great (fresh parsley, sage and rosemary stuffed into the cavity), and we had plenty of food, but not so much that I got sick of looking at the leftovers.  I did get rid of the turkey on the 27th.  Two days was enough....and I'm really starting to dislike all meat.  Looking at the raw bird grossed me out a bit.  Looking at it cooked two days later, as pretty as it was, just made my stomach turn.  This might be a good thing. 

 I got some cool gifts including a Heat Miser shirt and snowglobe, another wallet (I love wallets. I'd love to fill them with cash too.  Come on 2015!), and assorted candles, journals, and bath and body stuff.  The house looked great too.  Colorful, festive and organized.  I stepped outside before my guests arrived and was extremely pleased.  I've said a lot about this new phase in my life, being in a new place that I can truly feel at home in, with my favorite people sleeping in the neighboring bedrooms.  Hosting Christmas in my pretty little house was amazing, and as much as we used to love hosting in our much bigger house, we didn't miss a beat.  The kids played board games instead of running around (they're older now so we can do that), the men found comfy spots on the floor to watch the game in my son's room, and even the newly organized laundry room hosted a private convo or two. No one missed the extra space and it was almost midnight before the last guest went home.  It really doesn't matter where you are as long as you're together.  I did know this. 

I didn't buy anything for myself other than the last-minute decorations I found at Salvation Army on the 24th (including the awesome rug below) and a large, lighted pink bird which I immediately identified as a flamingo. I was corrected by a "very smart" lady (lol)  who insisted that it was a crane. Really?  Does anyone care?  Some people just have to flex, I guess, but if you're flexing, be right!  My whimsical pink bird is definitely not a crane, but what do I, as a non-academic, know about pink birds? I plugged it in and found out that not only was it super bright, but it moved!  YAY!  So what I know is that I snagged this beauty for a mere $5 and I get to be amused by it for years to come. Pepper the dog was freaked out by it, which made for a really cute video but  unfortunately my sister doesn't get that you can't talk while I'm filming a video that I plan to post.  Instead, I'll just have to post a couple of pics of the bird:  

I tied a hat on him/her?  It promptly fell off after a few genuflections.

This thing is giving me life right now!


Honestly, I am already dreaming about what the yard is going to look like this summer and I've made tons of mental plans on how I'll lay out the flower gardens, what garden decor I'm going to paint, and how I'm going to (finally) get some fairy lights hanging overhead.  I'll need tons of energy and a lot less pain in order to accomplish this.  So I'm already working on my flexibility, getting some of the really bad stuff out of my diet, and being more productive overall.  I'm still not ready to do anything drastic about my knee issues.  I keep thinking that if I wait, some really viable alternative to surgery will be discovered and the missing cushioning can be replaced.  If you're reading this and know of any, please let me know!  I might even be open to a little "guinea pigging".  Inbox me with your not-so-outrageous ideas... 

 I'm happy that you're here with me as we start a new year.  Here's to stepping into an amazing 2015.  Let's do this!  

No comments: