Thursday, August 14, 2014

My Chariot Awaits! (But they sent the wrong chariot...)

I took a job this summer as a mentor to high school kids.  The plan was to spend the summer reacquainting themselves with riding, learning to build and repair bikes, and have some summer fun.  I was a little leery about this because even though I spent half my childhood on my bike, it's been about 20 years since I've ridden one and my knees are about 40 years older. I'm still not sure how that works. But the pay was good, I'd be forced to be outside and active, and I thought I would enjoy being around a bunch of young people every day for six weeks.  I took a picture of the bicycle above because to me, it summed up my bicycling dreams.  Cruising along on something big and bright and comfy.  Reality was a little different.  We didn't cruise.  The goal was to get everywhere as fast as we could.  The bike was a skinny "boy" bike.  No fenders.  No bright colors.  A helmet.  A hot flash (or two or ten). And a VERY painful seat.  Today the program ended, and while I will miss some of my students, I will not miss the sweat and butt blisters.  Before I ride again, trust that the bike will be modified with a cushy seat and I will find an alternative to the "Colonel Klink" style helmet I wore all summer.  Not chic at all!

Speaking of chic-osity, I took about two hundred pictures today!  Yes, that many.  I finally accepted that I have more clothes than I can store, and I'm not moving inventory fast enough to keep the stash comfortable.  Like the vintage Barbie clothes I used to sell, I just love having them.  It's really hard to find vintage clothing in my size, so while I would love to say that I wear all most some of them, I don't.  My daughter will do the modeling for me, and she even wears some vintage clothing, but for the most part, this stash hasn't diminished in over a year.  Sell one, buy two.  (Something like that).  I've decided to dedicate the rest of this month--since I won't be busy sweating and blistering--to upping my online presence, not because I love being "seen" but because I need some "green"!

I'm really proud of myself for the work I put in this summer.  I am so glad that I got moving!  And I'm really happy to be back behind my camera and my computer, sharing the amazing things I find Every Single Day!
*******************************************************************************

With a really small family, we have never had a family reunion since we see each other all the time.  That's all about to change with our first reunion this Sunday!  I have no idea of what I should be doing, but I know that food should figure in largely, goofy games are a must, and kids and dogs must be running around everywhere.  Check, check and check!  I will likely be quiet until then.  I have a lot to do.  But can you guess what my next blog post will be about?

Check back with me on Monday and we'll see if you're right...



1 comment:

Thriftanista in the City said...

I have not been on a bike in about 30 years. I would have loved to cruise too but I guess that's not what teens do. :/