Saturday, September 14, 2013

Thrift Hauls!

I don't post all of my thrift finds, but I found some amazing things over two days of thrifting earlier this week that I just had to share.  It all started with a simple bit of information that I received.  My daughter found out she had an after work event to attend and went to work wearing the very same outfit she'd worn to the last after work event.  No big deal to her (she shrugs) but I'm thinking "what if".  What if she sees the same people?  What if those people are undercover fashion police?  So I did what any concerned parent would do who is interested in having their (job-seeking) child make the best impression.  Dash off to the mall?  Hit up Macy's downtown?  Uh-uh.  Nope.  Nothing about my budget has changed, folks.  I ran off to one of my favorite thrift stores, one that I don't go to very often because it's not close to home...St. Vincent's in Chicago.  True to form, there were tons of treasures buried there, more deeply than usual.

I was starting to think I wasn't going to find anything that was appropriate but I didn't give up.  I just made my way over to housewares, where I picked up a set of four vintage Fire-King refrigerator dishes.  I had been planning to buy some for a housewarming gift.  I'm going to fill each one with a meal for one.  Yes, this gift is for a bachelor...my nephew, who really likes my cooking!  To find a set of vintage dishes was just a bonus--I was planning to go to Target for them.  This just makes it better...


These are actually from a vintage home yogurt maker, c. 1960's.  Coolness.


Once I found these, I settled down and really started to look.  I found this really cute, silk, fully lined, back-zip sheath:



A bit of a splurge at $8.

Two cardigans and two pairs of shoes.  A girl must have choices!  I kept with the gray/black theme.  I even found a cute vintage black link bracelet.  

                                                            Anne Taylor Loft, $3.



Kohl's/Daisy Fuentes, $3.  This is a really nice quality sweater, fine gauge knit, nice style and length.  It will be worn a LOT, I can tell. 


             Isaac Mizrahi for Target.  Not pricey normally, but even better at $4.


Pewter slingbacks.  $4.  Leather with snake trim.  Classy!


She was already carrying a black Coach (freebie, long story) purse. I thought I did a pretty good job of getting her ready to schmooze.

BTW, she picked the gray cardi and gray shoes.  Again, options are important!  Oh yes, the bracelet:
Just the black one, the green bracelet, which I love, was found elsewhere.  I also got the pink earrings yesterday because she loves pink.  No other reason needed.  Not pictured are the silver hoops I found, new in the package at St. Vince's.  So I rushed to her job and brought in my two bags of stuff.  Who does that??  Me!  She took what she wanted, and I hauled the rest home. 

She did NOT take any pictures...aarrggghhh!  That's okay, we're due for a photo shoot anyway!  



Next stop was Restoration Ministries--their smaller store in Harvey, Illinois.  Small but mighty!

I hate that I didn't have these vintage "golfer" glasses on Fathers' Day:



 I wasn't too sure about this print two-piece.  I really like it, but it's not my size.  My sister can wear it, but pretty much everything she owns is print and I don't want to feed her habit.  I tried to convince my daughter that it would be so cute with boots this fall.  She wasn't too excited about it, but said she might wear it, but definitely not both pieces at the same time.  It's probably a little big for her, but it has nice style.  Black and gold cord trim, fabric button and loop closure, and a tapered waist on the jacket.  


Vintage is the new black.  She should trust me on this one. Just $3.50, so no harm done. 


              Another vintage Vera scarf.  I have enough but at .50, why not??


Season's over, but I couldn't resist this vintage Hawaii made dress.  Half price at $3.50.  

And there you have it, except for the jacket which I won't reveal until I team it up with something cute, at which point my kids will draw straws to see who has to take 25 pictures of Mom so she can find one that she's happy with. 



No comments: