Friday, December 18, 2015

So Much to Do, So Little Time.

I made up my mind a couple of months ago that Christmas would not sneak up on me and leave before I was ready.  I started decorating the house the day after Thanksgiving.  A week later, the tree was up.  Still, here I am in the wee hours of December 19 wondering where the time went.

Spending so much time in my shop, I haven't been home much during the day.  Baking and movie watching have to be squeezed into the evenings and I haven't been doing well.  My son came home from school today and I was glad that he wanted to immediately dive into #traditions.  He asked about the gingerbread house and I directed him to the "A-Frame" kit I bought at Trader Joe's a few weeks ago.  It was so much easier to put together than the ones we've been doing for years.  It was quick and easy and not nearly as ornate as usual, but it was fun, it's done, and my 18 and 24 year olds sat at the dining room table with me and we talked while we built, just like old times.  

Business was ridiculously slow today, but I did get a sweet comment from a customer on Facebook, which totally made my day.  Baby steps...only for the most patient among us.  I guess that means me.  

So with bedtime typically around 2:30a, rising at 6:30a, maybe an hour and a half back in bed before I'm up for the day, and I'm then at it again.  I squeezed a lot into today.  Travel plans, emails and phone calls, rearranging the shop window, repairing those old tables and grocery shopping (if Walgreen's counts) and I'm dreading how tired I'm going to be again tomorrow.  It's almost 1a and I have a 9:00 appointment, an estate sale that I really want to get to, and the shop from 10-5 for a final Christmas push.  I'm feeling apprehensive, yet hopeful.  Overwhelmed, but supercharged.  Sleepy, but...sleepy.  I need this cycle be over soon.

No cookies yet, but I did make a few things this week!
This same piece of wood has been about three different signs over the past two years.  Now it says "Be Merry".


Wine Crate Manger Scene!  I never have a creche.  I'm always improvising.

My niece found these beat up tables on the side of the road.  Some nails, some wood glue, some soap and water...I'm going to use these display tables a lot.

Goodwill bags.  I knew they'd come in handy for something.  Love the color!

And the Gingerbread house.  It smells really good.  Pictures tomorrow...I'm so tired, I don't think I can hold the camera right now.  I'm going to bed y'all!

No comments: