Sunday, December 7, 2014

Traditions!

We have quite a few and I am so happy that we got started early!

We took advantage of a mild 30+ degree night and took the train downtown Chicago to do the "Macy's Thing".  This constitutes a very small amount of shopping, if any.  Our primary reason for being there is to see the big tree, check out the window displays, and grab a bite to eat in the food court.  This time we took a friend of mine and her nine year old daughter.  Good times.

 She snapped this cellphone pic of the three of us.  I jokingly posted it on Facebook as my official Christmas card.  I think I may do a little better in terms of the card sending, but I love this picture!  None of us was dressed for a Christmas pic, but it turned out great.  Bad color and all.  The tree this year wasn't as spectacular as some that I've seen before, but it was made dramatic by changing lights which changed the color of the entire tree and decorations every few minutes.  It's so cool (and humbling) that my adult and teenage children still want to hang out with me.  Down Washington Street, just a block from Macy's is the Christkindl Market.  It was more crowded last night than I've ever seen it, so we just browsed and kept it moving.  A pound of toasted almonds kept us happy until we got back to Macy's to eat, after which we took a tiny little side trip to Magnolia Bakery to sample the banana pudding and take home a few treats.  


Next up, per my son's request, I bought all the makings for our white chocolate/cranberry dipped pretzels.  I brought him the first few and he threw a hissy fit that I didn't wait for him.  Silly me, I thought he just wanted to eat them!  Between the three of us, we made about two dozen with enough left over to make another two.  I added just a little coconut oil to keep the chocolate loose enough to get the job done.  After cooling a little, I just add chopped "craisins" and let them cool completely.  Mmmmm, Mmmmm, Good!  A glass of sparking juice and the required toast, and we were set for our first official Christmas kitchen tradition.  

Next up?  Hot chocolate, Christmas Blend.  I'll fill a few jars to give as gifts, and keep a lot for us.  The sweet, savory and spicy combo keeps my taste buds happy and coming back for more.  Then there are Christmas movies to watch, a gingerbread house to build and decorate, and rides around town looking at the light displays.  Yes, we still do that "boring" stuff and I'm so blessed that Christmas is still all about being together.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are incredibly blessed to have the most awesome kids!